02 January 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM NAMIBIA!!

Wishing you a very Happy New Year from "The Biggest Internet Cafe in Africa" in Namibia. :) It has been an amazing first couple days. All 31 volunteers are some of the best people with the most positive, loving energy. We rang in the New Year in "Jo-Burg" South Africa and we definitely rang it in with a bang! :) Good times from day 1.

Right now, as I've been for most of the past couple days, I am fairly speechless about this experience. We just started orientation, and it's going to be very busy for the next couple weeks, but I am looking forward to every bit of it. We are heading up north on Monday for a week of teaching practicum and will also get a chance to go on a Game Drive through Etosha National Park. I'm REAL jacked about that! It's going to be awesome. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures of the giraffes, zebras, elephants, and hopefully a lion! We are going to our sites on Saturday, January 17th and start teaching on Monday, January 19th. I can't wait to get to my site. I DEFINITELY am in the most remote area out of all the volunteers. Everyone else has electricity and at least decent cell phone service. Ha! Who needs that? I am pumped to have the moon as my light and to use the 1 phone in the village at the building with the generator.

Bee Tee Dub (by the way), it's about 90 degrees in Windhoek (pronounced Vind-Hook) today. Also, I went for a run with 4 other volunteers and the owner of the hostel (think muscular running African man and that's him) and nearly died. I joked with the rest of the runners that they were Varsity and I was representing the JV squad (along with another slowy joey like me). I hope to continue this running trend, even if it's the end of me. :)

Alright, I have to go. I only have a few more minutes of internet. I do not have a phone yet, but I will get one in the next couple days. It is MUCH cheaper for you to call me (when I have service, that is). It's actually free for me to receive calls, even from the States). You can get good deals on calling cards on speeypin.com and pinonline.com (i think that's the name).

I hope you're all well and enjoying the new year. This is an amazing start to 2009 and have had wonderful moments (albeit fleeting moments) of true enlightenment on several occassions already. This is really happening. I am still in a bit of shock.

One World.

5 comments:

jenn said...

yea! it's an update and an exciting one at that!!! awesome. stay safe my friend and continue sharing all that love and passion you have for others. enjoy every minute!!! love ya....m.e.

Jess said...

How stinkin' exciting!!! Many many blessings to you and we love ya gobs over here! :)

Dina said...

So excited for you Jimmy B.! You will do great things...you always do. Know that I am praying for you often as you journey through this time in your life. I look forward to your updates. Love ya, Dinasaurus Rex

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there's a way we can keep track of you over there. I loved your JV running attempt story. Mark and I will be using your site a lot to keep up with you and your antics.
Julia

Unknown said...

yo bro...excellent. jv american runners can quickly become varsity runners by running with africans...you are well on your way:)

love ya bro!