08 April 2008

Manchester College, Mutual Kumquat, and SAVE THE FIREHOUSE!

On Saturday, March 29th, Mutual Kumquat put on an amazing show at Manchester College and raised awareness of my trip allowing me to speak and raise money. I am forever grateful to the wonderful people of Mutual Kumquat (Seth, Drue, Chris, and Jacob) as well as the beautiful people of N. Manchester and Manchester College. I was able to raise $290 at the event, pass out cards, and most importantly connect with people.

Again, I am so thankful to all of the people who supported me with words of affirmation, positive energy, donations, and songs (Kumquat brought me on stage and sang my favorite song, "In My Eyes", which they haven't played in 4 years...it was amazing!).

I also want to raise awareness of something else that is very near and dear to my heart. The Firehouse is a youth venue which hosts concerts and other fun activities in North Manchester, IN. It is a great place that was started by brilliant kids who wanted something fun to do with their free time instead of just sit around and drink. When I was a junior at Manchester, and RA on GMII (Garver Hall), we did a fund-raiser called the "Scruff-a-thon" (basically had a beard growing contest for the month) during the month of January to raise money for The Firehouse. Anywho, we raised $700 in a little over 3 weeks and it was an awesome experience!

Now to the real point of this story...The Firehouse roof caved in last summer and basically destroyed the whole place. So now they are renovating and raising money to return it to it's glory. Please visit their site and donate a few dollars. It is very worth it. You will get a happy feeling inside when you donate...I promise. :)

The Firehouse site
YouTube videos about The Firehouse

1 comment:

Jess said...

It sounds like I missed some awesome events, most importantly you! Great job as always!!!