08 February 2008

Dream Crushed...but Staying Positive

The violence in Kenya has become so bad that WorldTeach has halted its program and put the brakes on my dream of volunteering in Kenya. I have been thinking about and praying for the Kenyans for the past month since this all started, and I will continue to do so. I really hope that they are able to stop the bloodshed and find peace, but there has been ethnic tension for years just waiting to explode and I have no idea how it's going to stop. I hope that the politicians are able to do something, but I'm not sure they will be able to quell the violence in 2 weeks like they claim. Anywho, I could go on and on, but I will spare you. :) Please keep the people of Kenya in your thoughts and prayers (if you pray). Thanks!

What's next for me? I am definitely going to volunteer somewhere next year. I want to help people in need. I would prefer to work with orphans. I would prefer to work with people affected by AIDS. I would also prefer to work with younger children. That being said, I am trying to be more open about opportunities. WorldTeach told me that I can choose another program to work with since I am already accepted into their organization. They have a few others in Africa that I am leaning towards (South Africa, Namibia, Rwanda), but I am also looking into Costa Rica, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, and Guyana. But I am also looking outside of WorldTeach to see if I can find something else that truly fits my passion. As you can see, I am quite confused right now.

Whatever path I choose, I will continue to fund-raise (at least $6,000) to pay for flights, program fees, etc. I greatly appreciate your support! I will definitely keep you posted on my decision.

Peace and Love.

4 comments:

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Jim B - I know that God has a plan for you. Although this door closed, another one will open. God gave you the passion and He will fufill your desire. Continue to stay positive. Lova ya!

Jess said...

Hey Jim! God has a plan for you definitely or he wouldn't have given you so much passion! He will open a door that will lead you to an amazing experience and I can't wait to see what that will be! Stay strong and keep your focus! Love ya!

jenn said...

oh jim...your dream will happen. you have that passion and that drive and i know you will find a way to help people somewhere in this big world of ours!!! i love ya kiddo and see such big things for you as you already have accomplished so much. i will keep my eyes open and if i can do anything to help, let me know. i support you 100% and just am excited to hear where you are led next. i love ya kiddo :)....m.e.

Unknown said...

have no fear hoss, a door will open for you somewhere. keep your head up and it will all work out! still doing the concert in manchester? jen and i are planning on being there if you still are!